Tuesday, March 13, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Cake

This was the rush jobs to end all rush jobs. I was having some family over for an early dinner and wasn't going to do a big dessert thing. All the prep for dinner was done the day before so throwing together the meal was going to be really easy. Meaning I had time to think about not doing a dessert thing before they got here.

And, suddenly...


I WANTED TO DO A DESSERT THING!!!

So. ummmm. WHAT do I have in the house!? Cocoa! Yes! Everyone loves chocolate. And, uhhhhh, foil wrapped chocolate coins? (why do I have these ?) And the makings for frosting in the cupboard because I'm in the middle of taking the Wilton course at Michaels.

Cake! I'll made chocolate cake but instead of a cup of boiling water, it'll be a cup of coffee to make it extry chocolately (for culinary reasons, NOT because I had old coffee sitting in the pot from breakfast). And buttercream icing but...plain buttercream is going to be BORing with such a chocolately cake. 

**looking around the kitchen wildly and spotting a box of Thin Mints Girl Scout cookies** Got it!! Tint the frosting green and flavor it with mint and the whole darn cake will taste like a giant Girl Scout cookie. Niiiiice.

Cake takes just a wee bit of time to cool and I ended up with half an hour to frost, write on it and decorate (yes, unwrapping chocolate coins and sticking them on a cake counts as decorating as long as Cake Wrecks doesn't find out).

I wish it looked more finished. But the great thing about any relative older than me is that they beam with happiness and talk with pride about anything I do the way they did when I was 5. And I love it. Not even gonna try to deny it. And the cake did end up tasting like a big Thin Mint, so we all had seconds.

     -DK


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...