Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Accident Soup

Pretty much what it sounds like. I made a bonehead mistake and was too cheap to throw away the ingredients.

My hubby, Monsterfink, gave me the bestest anniversary gift ever - a three compartment crock pot !  Knew what I wanted in the first two sections but decided to wing it on the third. I had never used kasha before but had some in the pantry so I threw it into the third section with chicken broth and a handful of legumes I had laying around.

Then I set the crock pots on low ... and went to bed.

Never having made kasha and not bothering to look it up, I didn't know it was a relatively quick cooking grain. Early the next morning when I pulled the finished product from the pots, the kasha was an overcooked and mushy mess.

If a veggie gets overcooked, I puree it and make soup so I busted out the immersion blender. Added enough almond milk to make it soup, then seasoned it Moroccan (thank you Google!) and it still needed something to offset the heat of the cayenne. Added a few teaspoons of sugar and nom, nom, NOM!


Serves 2

1 1/2 cups overcooked kasha
1 cup cooked lentils
3 cups almond milk, original
Moroccan seasoning to taste
Kosher salt to tast
4 tsp sugar
chopped parsley for garnish

Put the kasha and lentils in a medium saucepan and add half the almond milk. Puree together with an immersion blender until completely smooth. Then whisk in enough of the remaining almond milk until it is the consistency of cream soup. Turn the burner on low and heat the mixture until hot but not boiling. Start whisking in the Moroccan seasoning and salt. Taste, reseason, whisk and taste again until it is to your liking. Then whisk in the sugar. Ladle the soup into 2 bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.

Per serving:
Calories: 354       Total fat: 4.9g       Carbs: 59.8g       Protein: 15.2g       Fiber: 13.3g

-DK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...