Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mortadella Pate with Grilled Bread


I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more cookbooks. The poor Rubbermaid thingie that houses them in my walk in closet is all but collapsing and there is just nowhere else to put them. Plus, I tend to cherry pick what recipes to make out of cookbooks; only doing those I know I can pull off really well.


That being said, Chef Anne Burrell has a cookbook. She seems real, like when the judges on Next Food Network Star complimented her dish, her response was "yay!". But anyone who has seen her cook knows that under the friendly persona and colloquial vernacular is a tough as nails chef who gets the job done.

I wonder sometimes if my own high energy personality and penchant for announcing "awesome!" when things go well makes me something I shouldn't be professionally. But when I watch Chef Anne, I see alot of myself. Only with funkier hair...and waaaaaay meaner cooking skills. And so, I had to get her cookbook. But I decided to join the 21st century and got it for my IPad Kindle app. No cookbook to store - life is good.

Looking through it, I realized I was starting to cherry pick again and decided to push myself out of my comfort zone. At the risk of being a little too Julie and Julia, I decided to make every recipe in the book.

Let's see, what's the first recipe...Mortadella Pate, which Chef Anne describes as a bologna cloud.

I HATE bologna.

But I made it anyway and it was good - I'll definitely make it again for a catering or dinner party. The grilled bread though...was...just...divine! There was no recipe, it was just pictured with the pate. Hubby picked up a good bread at the store, it was rubbed with a garlic clove - brushed with olive oil - toasted on a really hot grill plate and crunchy heaven was born! It looks rustic and fancy at the same time and will go with any schmear. Think I'll go make some more now...

-DK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...