Saturday, March 17, 2012

Smoothie Saturday: Hot Pink Health Smoothie

Leafy greens like kale and collards are the hands down kings of nutrition with Andi scores of 1000. But we're gonna ease into this whole leafy-green-in-the-smoothie-thing nice and easy like, since my family and most of my coworkers recoil in horror at the color of my smoothies with the deep dark leafy ones.

Cabbage has a score of around 405. Not quite the powerhouse the others are but still a workhorse nutritionally. And it doesn't change the color (or taste) of the smoothy for those a little squeamish about the green.

The recipe on today's post is my version of this cabbage smoothie recipe. I only modified it because I didn't have the raspberries onhand and I like to eat some protein with each of my meals. That's what great about smoothies, unlike other things in life, they are infinitely adjustable.

2 C cabbage
1/2 large fresh banana, frozen
1/2 C strawberries, frozen, fresh
1/3 C cherries, whole frozen
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 1/2 tsp Splenda Blend
3/4 C water
3 or 4 ice cubes

Put it all in the blender (except the ice) and, well, blend. I had to turn off the blender, push the food down toward the blade with the back of a wooden spoon and turn it back on to get everything liquified. When it's all smooth, toss in the ice and let 'er rip until it's a smooth, frosty-pink treat.

Calories: 268
Total fat: 1.2g
Sat fat: 0.2g
Polyunsat fat: 0.3g
Monounsat fat: 0.1g
Carbs: 46g
Protein: 20g
Fiber: 8g

-DK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...