Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Easter Cupcakes

The status is not quo. The combination of white almond sour cream cake and buttercream dream icing is one of my all time favorites. But I make it so often...I'm not bored with the flavor combination but I feel like doing something different than just frosting a cake or an icing swirl on a cupcake.

Since this sugary ennui hit in the spring, I thought I'd try an Easter theme. To me, nothing says Easter like a basket weave and alternating a sunny yellow with bright white just drives home the spring feeling. 


For some reason, I really believed I had a grass tip in my decorating kit. It wasn't until the basket weave was done did I realize the grass tip was not purchased on the last culinary outing after all. At this point the cupcakes were liberally sprinkled with copious amounts of profanity. So much cursing goes into my desserts, that I now believe they would not taste the same without it.

After experimenting with a few star tips, I found one that made serviceable looking grass and then added Easter egg sprinkles to finish them off. They were very well received by my crew at work and, if I did catering on the side, I would have walked away with a few orders. But caking for me is a hobby, not work, and I want to keep it that way. So no side orders. Plus the NJ Department of Health makes big 'ol frowny faces when food is sold professionally but prepared in a home kitchen. So there's that.

-DK



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...