Saturday, May 12, 2012

Smoothie Saturday: Vegan Pepperland Smoothie

So many people ask me if I'm vegetarian when they see what I eat. I'm not. I'm just a true omnivore who tries to keep it healthy which means alot of plant based foods.

The USDA replaced the Pyramid with My Plate which easily shows how much plant vs meat we should be consuming. As a dietetics professional, I thank the gods of nutrition daily that the pyramid with all of it's confusing color stripes is gone. Really, who looked at that and thought "Yeah, that's a solid straightforward explanation of what to eat to stay healthy"? My Plate is so straightforward my grade school daughter understood it immediately. Now, that's how nutrition gets done!

All of that aside, my omnivorous self came up with a vegan smoothie to have on Meatless Mondays. Even if you're not vegan, give it a try - it doesn't even need a sweetener.

1/4 cup hemp milk, original
1 rounded Tbsp brown rice protein powder
1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 whole red bell pepper
1/2 whole yellow bell pepper
1 whole peeled orange
4-5 ice cubes

Calories: 254
Fat: 2.5g
Carbs: 48g
Protein: 15.5g
Fiber 12.6g

Toss everything but the ice cubes in  a blender and spin until smooth. Then add the ice cubes and spin again. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...