Friday, July 20, 2012

Staycation: Ringing Rocks Park and Homestead General Store


If you follow my tweets, you know I love love love Suburban Organics. And will often add a bag of coffee locally roasted in Buck's County to the order. This info will appear to have no bearing on the post but, hang in there, there's a point to this.

During our staycation we went to Ringing Rocks Park which is only an hour's drive away. After packing a picnic lunch, half a gallon of water and a hammer (for the rocks) we were on our way.

Right before the turn for the park, we passed a general store advertising ice cream and fresh roasted coffee. Too bad I'm not Tyler...


After some hiking, hitting rocks (yes, about a third of them do ring!) and having an overall grand time for absolutely no money (the park is free), I figured it'd be OK to spend a few sheckles at the the general store.



After entering, the aroma of coffee pulled me to many bins of bulk coffee by Homestead roasters - very same local Buck's County company I had purchased through Suburban Organics! This was the origin and I was thrilled to have found it, even by accident. After helping myself to a pound of an intriguing blend...



We ordered Pennsylvania Dutch ice cream in a mind bendingly good flavor: cake with fudge frosting ripples and sat in the dining room to enjoy it.



My daughter loved that the chairs looked like watermelons. (So did I.) And there were pump pots full of brewed coffee to enjoy with our ice cream.

I can't recommend this enough...Ringing Rocks is just big enough to spend a few unusually fun hours and cooling off in the the general store on the way out was a perfect end to the day. The ride to and from on either Route 29 (NJ side) or 32 (PA side) is tree lined and offers amazing views of the Delaware.

Crowded theme parks will never rival a trip with my little girl where we share exceptional food and natural wonders.



-DK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...