Sunday, July 15, 2012

RTB: Crock Pots = Cheap Healthy Eats (part 1)

My day job keeps this foodie busy on workdays which doesn't leave alot of time to make tasty and healthy food. Having lost 60 lbs in the last 15 months, I have few tricks up my sleeve to make sure I'm eating what's healthy and not what's easy. Typically, easy = not so good for me.
Enter the best gift ever - the three compartment crock pot ! It's 3 crock pots in one unit and each pot has independent controls. Meaning that one can be set on high, one at low and one not turned on at all if that's whatcha wanna do. So awesome for makin' alotta different food.
So, I had 2 whole days off in a row last week. (Right!? How'd that happen?) Set up the crock pots on day 1 with...
Sofrito:



Sofrito is kinda a spanish mirepoix. It's usually buzzed raw in a food processor and used in stews, etc. But Monsterfink hates the texture of
veggie although loves the flavor. So our sofrito gets slow cooked and pureed before it smothers grilled chicken with cheese on top. (Yummmm!)
Vegan Chili:



This recipe came from the Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps I won from Steph Chows. Great recipe - my only change was to toss in a few dried, diced ancho peppers. No recipe is ever made as is in my house. Gotta make 'em my own!
Homemade Vegetable Stock:



Every friday Suburban Organics delivers a box of AMAZing organic veggies to my doorstop. When I make salad, etc I can't bear to toss out the perfectly good trimmings so I keep 'em. Like that honkin' big chunk from the bottom of a head of cauliflower or a ton of broccoli stems. I mean, how much broccoli slaw can one girl eat? They all get dumped in the crock pot with filtered water, celery, carrots and onion. Then set & forget - if the stock isn't quite flavorful enough when all the veggies are soft, strain and simmer on the stovetop to reduce it.
Once everything is done, it get's separated into serving sizes, dated/labelled and put up in the freezer. Homemade so it tastes great and is seasoned to my own finicky tastes, thaw and use so I stay on the path to healthy hotness and CHEAP!!!!!!
What's not to love?
- DK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...